Lewisham - South East London patient survey gives polyclinics the thumbs down
South East London patient survey gives polyclinics the thumbs down
15.05.08: A patient survey by Londonwide Local Medical Committees (LMCs) has found that over 9 out of 10 people in South East London (Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark) would prefer to keep seeing their NHS GP at their local surgery, than to see it moved to a larger polyclinic.
The Local Medical Committees (LMCs) of South East London were surprised to find that, despite a £4 million public consultation, NHS London only received 563 completed responses from the area. This lack of awareness among the public, despite the vast expenditure by NHS London, was further illustrated by the results of Londonwide LMCs survey which found that only 22 percent of patients in the area have heard of ‘Healthcare for London: Consulting the Capital’.
In contrast to NHS London’s reports that polyclinic models have received broad support from 51% of respondents, the Londonwide LMCs patient survey has found just 1 in 10 people agree or strongly agree with the proposals to implement the polyclinic model.
Dr Alan Thompson, Chair of Lewisham LMC, says: “The response to our patient survey has exceeded expectations and the results tell a very different story to those published by NHS London. We urge NHS London and Primary Care Trusts to listen to, and act upon, patient views.
“Our concern is primarily for our patients. How can the implementation of a polyclinic model be justified when only 1 in 10 of our patients are in favour of these changes? I believe the funding would be much better spent on developing existing surgeries, allowing them to expand their good range of current services and to network naturally, without coercion.”
Notes to Editor:
- The full report provides a breakdown of results by borough and can be downloaded at: http://www.lmc.org.uk/uploads/files/news/2008/llmcspatientsurveymay2008sel.pdf
- The Londonwide LMCs patient survey was completed by 1526 patients from 24 London Primary Care Trust areas during April and May 2008
- 511 of the respondents were from South East London (Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark)
- For further information on Londonwide LMCs log on to www.lmc.org.uk
- If you have any media queries please contact Hannah Millard on firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7387 2034 x239
- Londonwide LMCs is the confederation for the capital’s 6000+ GPs and practice teams, providing support, advice and guidance to individual GPs, plus London’s 24 Local Medical Committees
- Each Local Medical Committee is a statutory body, elects a committee of GPs to represent, negotiate and guide discussions with their local Primary Care Trust on issues affecting patient care
- Dr Stewart Drage and Dr Tony Stanton are joint Chief Executives at Londonwide LMCs