The initial training cervical sample taker course is designed to enable trained staff to take cervical samples.
Who is it for?
- Registered nurses
- Registered midwives
- Registered Physician Associates
- Registered Nursing Associates
- Medical Doctors
How does it work?
- Two full day taught days*
- Practical element with a final requirement of achieving 20 adequate samples
- A colposcopy clinic visit with reflection of the visit documented
- A visit to a laboratory or the completion of a virtual tour
- Completion of a personal training record workbook
- Visit by an external assessor final sign off
*taught days are currently being delivered by Zoom.
What does it cover?
The course follows guidance from Public Health England in relation to the training of cervical sample takers and incorporates the competency framework CHS37. The course is professionally accredited with the RCGP and upon successful completion students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Londonwide LMCs.
- Be a registered nurse, registered midwife, registered physician associate, nursing associate or medical doctor
- Be working in an environment where the objectives of the course can be fulfilled in 6 months
- Have a mentor in practice who has had 12 months continual experience following initial cervical sample training
- Have a mentor in practice who has taken a minimum of 50 successful cervical samples
- Have a mentor in practice who (if appropriate) has attended / completed a cervical training update within the last three years
- Have a mentor who is a practicing sample taker
What does it cost?
The course cost £700 + VAT per person.