In October 2015 Londonwide LMCs launched the HCSW Training Programme. The course is designed for Health Care Support Workers (HCSWs) new to general practice and aims to provide the Care Certificate Standards along with a broad understanding of the HCSWs role in a general practice setting. The course will provide a basic understanding of how to carry out tasks related to their role competently.
Upon successful completion of the four-month course, students will receive the Care Certificate Standards and a Certificate of Completion.
The HCSW Training Programme is a blended learning programme which is composed of 10 online units delivered through a dedicated learning hub, two taught days (currently being delivered via Zoom) which complement the online units, a practice-based competency document which allows maximum transfer of theory to practice. Students will have four months to complete all components.
The programme is taught by experienced practice nurse educators and students are supported through the programme by course tutors and the programme manager. The learning hub contains a forum where students can network and support each other.
The 10 online units are:
- Working in general practice as a health care support worker
- Professional issues
- Infection control
- Clinical skills training
- Long-term conditions
- Health promotion
- Administration of medicine
- Wound care
- Emergency situations
- Be employed or have placement time within a practice with an appropriate contract/agreement
- Be supported within the practice by being given time to attend both taught days
- Be supported within the practice by being assigned an experienced practice nurse who can mentor and sign off the competency document
The cost of the programme is £650 + VAT.