This report is a flexible summary, with the aim of sharing and highlighting a wide range of data and policy information relating to London general practice published in a given week. Where we view information to be of significant interest it is reproduced directly below the links to make the key points quicker to digest.
Please feel free to share any useful stats/links you think we could include in future reports.
- All recent data releases can be seen here.
- Data: Primary Care Workforce [17/8].
- 31,370 More FTE direct patient care staff on 30 June 2023 compared to 31 March 2019.
- Data: Primary Care Dementia Data [17/8].
- 469,679 people had a recorded diagnosis of dementia on 31 July 2023, an increase of 4,163 patients since last month.
Department of Health and Social Care
- Policy paper: Major conditions strategy: case for change and our strategic framework [16/8].
- Press release: All GP surgeries in England to have digital phonelines by March [18/8].
House of Commons Library
Policy, think tanks, charities and representative bodies
Institute for Fiscal Studies
- Report: How much public spending does each area receive? [15/8].
- Funding per capita was highest in inner London boroughs.
- “NHS funding appears to be relatively well-targeted to estimated needs. For example, using ONS population estimates, two-thirds of areas receive a share of funding that is within 5% of their share of estimated spending needs. Using GP registered populations, which are the population estimates actually used in the NHS funding allocation process, this rises to nine in ten areas. This reflects that NHS funding is allocated to areas predominantly based on needs assessments, which are themselves fairly up to date.”
Royal Society of Medicine
- Event: In Conversation Live with Professor Dame Carrie MacEwen, Chair of the General Medical Council [23/8].
- Article: Government claims 114 community diagnostic centres are up and running. We found at least 30 that aren’t [15/8].
- Report: The state of integrated care systems 2022/23 [17/8].
The Commonwealth Fund
- Report: Overworked and Undervalued: Unmasking Primary Care Physicians’ Dissatisfaction in 10 High-Income Countries [16/8].
The Kings Fund
- Article: Can AI help put people firmly at the centre of their care? [17/8].
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Article: New website launched in north east London to help patients manage their health and wellbeing [15/8].
Barts Health NHS Trust
- Article: Newham Hospital helps develop next generation of doctors [17/8].
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- Article: New 8-week course can help LGBTQ+ smokers quit for good [15/8].
- Article: Doctors cut waiting list for breast cancer surgery patients [15/8].