This report is a flexible summary, with the aim of sharing and highlighting a wide range of data and policy information relating to London general practice published in a given week. Where we view information to be of significant interest it is reproduced directly below the links to make the key points quicker to digest.
Please feel free to share any useful stats/links you think we could include in future reports.
- All recent data releases can be seen here.
- Data: Network Contract DES (MI) – August 2023 [23/9].
- Data: Childhood Vaccination Coverage [28/9].
- Coverage decreased for 12 of the 14 vaccine coverage measures reported in 2022-23.
- No vaccines met the 95% target.
- Data: NHS Workforce Statistics [28/9].
- 673,185 FTE professionally qualified clinical staff in June 2023. This is 4.7% more than in June 2022.
- Data: General Practice Workforce [28/9].
- 37,472 FTE GPs – 1.0% (387) more than August 2022.
- 27,246 FTE Fully qualified GPs – 1.0% (269) fewer than August 2022.
- 26,616 FTE Qualified permanent GPs – 0.8% (206) fewer than August 2022.
- Data: Appointments in General Practice [28/9].
- 28.3 million appointments were estimated to have been delivered by in August 2023.
- 43.7% of appointments took place on the same day that they were booked.
- 90.5% of all appointments were attended.
- 45.5% of all appointments were carried out by a GP.
- 67.9% of all appointments were carried out face to face.
Department of Health and Social Care
- Article: Using NHS data to improve healthcare [29/9].
- Professor Sir Chris Whitty writes for The Times on how using data effectively and safely can improve patient care and bolster research.
- Speech: Social Care Minister speech at NHS Confederation conference [27/9].
UK Health Security Agency
- Press release: UKHSA launches new infectious disease data dashboard [26/9]
London Ambulance Service
- Strategy: LAS sets out its vision to care for London in years ahead [26/9].
- LAS aims to “support GPs in London to increase their ability to provide same day access to urgent primary care through sharing our telephony, IT and workforce.”
Policy, think tanks, charities and representative bodies
- Blog: Can the NHS manage without AI? [25/9].
- Report: Public perceptions of health and social care: what are the priorities ahead of a general election? [27/9].
- Report: Unlocking the power of health beyond the hospital: supporting communities to prosper [27/9].
- Article: The road to race equality in the NHS: 10 steps to crafting an effective action plan [27/9].
- Data: Just one in ten members of the public think the government has the right policies in place for the NHS [27/9].
- Data: Mental health is now the number one health problem, ahead of cancer and coronavirus [28/9].
Barts Health NHS Trust
- Article: Hospital of the future [28/9].
Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Article: Newsweek has ranked King’s College Hospital’s Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Gastroenterology services among the best in the world in its annual list of the best provider of specialist hospital services. [29/9]
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
- Article: The new Day Surgery Unit (DSU) at North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust formally opened today, Tuesday 26 September 2023, following a £6million investment [26/9].
University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust