This report is a flexible summary, with the aim of sharing and highlighting a wide range of data and policy information relating to London general practice published in a given week. Where we view information to be of significant interest it is reproduced directly below the links to make the key points quicker to digest.
Please feel free to share any useful stats/links you think we could include in future reports.
- All recent data releases can be seen here.
- Guidance: NHS Premises Assurance Model [7/8].
- Guidance: Diagnostic imaging reporting turnaround times [9/8].
Department of Health and Social Care
- Press release: Government boosts use of independent sector capacity to cut NHS waits [4/8].
- Thirteen new community diagnostic centres are opening across the country to deliver more than 742,000 additional scans, tests and checks a year.
- People at greatest risk of serious illness from COVID-19, including care home residents, over 65s and frontline health and social care workers, are eligible for an autumn vaccine booster.
- Press release: Minister visits New Hospital Programme schemes in East of England [10/8].
- Health Minister visits schemes across East of England which have been prioritised for rebuilding by 2030 due to significant amounts of RAAC.
Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs
- Response: The use and harms of diphenidine [10/8].
- Government response to the ACMD review of the evidence on the use and harms of diphenidine.
Policy, think tanks, charities and representative bodies
The Health Foundation
- Article: NHS England’s virtual wards target is leading to some lower risk patients being ‘over-monitored’ in pursuit of a headline ambition ahead of winter [8/8].
- The Royal College of Physicians has described NHSE’s target of creating an additional 10,000 virtual ward beds by the end of September as “not helpful”, suggesting it is increasingly being rolled out to low risk patients who do not require hospital care.
- Article: Growing numbers of delayed discharges from community hospitals [10/8].
- Article: ‘Tipping point’ warning as strike-hit appointments near million mark [11/8].
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- Article: UK first robotic-assisted study to aid lung cancer diagnosis [7/8].
- Clinicians at Royal Brompton Hospital, part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, and St Bartholomew’s Hospital are the first in the UK to use a pioneering robotic device to biopsy small and hard-to-reach lung nodules, meaning patients with suspected lung cancer could get a diagnosis much earlier.
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Article: Go behind the scenes with staff from King’s College Hospital as staff return to TV screens in a new series of ground-breaking Channel 4 documentary series Emergency. [11/8].