Dr Cecil Belfield-Clarke
Dr Clarke arrived in London from Barbados in 1914, and after studying in Cambridge set up a medical practice in Southwark. Dr Clarke practiced at the same site for over 40 years, including during World War Two bombing raids. In 1936, he became the first black District Medical Officer for London. The site of his practice is commemorated by a plaque placed by the Nubian Jak Community Trust.
Dr Harold Moody
In 1913, Dr Moody set up his own practice in Peckham and later founded the League of Coloured Peoples to strengthen race relations and challenge injustices. The site of his practice is commemorated by a blue plaque placed by English Heritage.
Dr John Alcindor
Dr Alcindor was a respected and well-known member of his local community in Paddington, helping treat soldiers returning from the First World War as well as running his own general practice there. The site of his practice is commemorated by a plaque placed by the Nubian Jak Community Trust.
David Pitt, Baron Pitt of Hampstead
In 1950, Dr Pitt opened a practice at 200 North Gower Street, just a 10 minute walk from the offices of Londonwide LMCs today. Through his GP work, Dr Pitt became ‘an informal community leader’, providing guidance with employment and accommodation issues. In 1975, Dr Pitt was appointed a member of the House of Lords – the only black member of either house of Parliament at that time. The site of his practice is commemorated by a plaque placed by the London Borough of Camden.