- All recent data releases can be seen here.
- Report: New survey of public health shows strong link between poor health and loneliness [16/5]
- Adults in England who reported bad or very bad health are more than three times as likely to report feeling lonely than those with good or very good health.
- Data: Published files show the number of times each listed SNOMED code was added to a GP patient record within the 1 August to 31 July period for the years 2011-12 to 2017-18, aggregated at England level. The data is available in .txt format [16/5].
- Data: Primary Care Workforce Quarterly Update, 31 March 2023, Experimental Statistics [18/5].
Imperial College London
- Data: A report in the Times that care for obese patients costs the NHS double what it does for those with a normal BMI [18/5].
- Researchers looked at the health records of 2.4 million adults in northwest London to see how much they cost each year in terms of hospital admissions, GP appointments and prescriptions.
World Health Organisation
- Report: World health statistics 2023 [19/5].
Department for Health and Social Care
- Press release: The Government invites views on tackling major conditions in England [17/5]
- The major conditions call for evidence has been launched for views on how best to prevent, diagnose, treat and manage the 6 major conditions.
- Press release: The government has delivered on its commitment of recruiting 26,000 more primary care professionals – such as dieticians and paramedics – in GP practices [18/5].
Office for National Statistics
- UK healthcare expenditure was around £283 billion in 2022, which is an increase in nominal terms of 0.7% from spending in 2021.
- Adjusting for the effects of inflation, total healthcare expenditure declined in real terms by 4.5% in 2022.
- This comes after unprecedented growth in healthcare spending over 2020 and 2021 following the pandemic, with healthcare spending 13.5% higher in real terms, in 2022 compared with 2019.
- Non-government healthcare expenditure grew by 3.9% in real terms in 2022.
- Defined as ‘out-of-pocket healthcare’ and ‘voluntary health insurance’.
- Data: Employment in the UK [16/5].
- The number of people economically inactive because of long-term sickness increased to a record high.
Think tanks, charities and representative bodies
British Medical Journal
- Tackling overmedicalisation must become a political priority, by Brent LMC member Rammya Mathew [16/5].
Royal College of GPs
- Blog: Without a GP workforce plan, the NHS will fail, published by the New Statesman [15/5].
The King’s Fund
- Event: Embracing innovation and meeting the productivity challenge [23/5].
- Blog: Digital technologies: unlocking collective knowledge and expertise in health and care [19/5].
- Report: The health of people from ethnic minority groups in England [17/5]
Lane Clark & Peacock LLP
- Blog: The postcode lottery of gluten free prescribing [16/5].
- Event: Stronger Things 2023 – Community Power: Making it happen [23/5].
- On the agenda:
- Can community power end health inequalities? with:
- Prof Bola Owolabi, Director of the National Healthcare Inequalities Improvement Programme, NHS England
- In practice: Communities tackling health inequalities with:
- Dr William Bird MBE GP and Founder and CEO, Intelligent Health
- Dr Andy Knox GP and Associate Medical Director, Population Health, NHS Lancashire and South Cumbria ICB
- Kalvinder Kohli, Assistant Director – Early Intervention and Prevention, Birmingham City Council
- Iain O’Neil Managing Partner for Health, TPXimpact
- Article: Last week the government announced its plan to improve access to primary care, focussing on a set of interventions to tackle the growing pressure on GPs [16/5].
More in Common
- Data: Britons’ top issues [16/5].
- Supporting the NHS is a top issue for 43% of people, the second highest.
- 75% picked the cost of living.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Article: NHS Providers case study on new Community Diagnostics Centre [18/5].
Barts Health NHS Trust
- Article: New patient portal puts healthcare at your fingertips [18/5].
London North West University Healthcare Trust
- Article: Two musicians from The Spitz musical collective charity have raised the roof at Ealing Hospital as part of Dementia Action Week by visiting wards and entertaining patients and staff [17/5].
Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Article: An update on our Building Your Future Hospital plans [17/5].
St Georges University Hospitals Foundation Trust
- Hospitals launch new five-year strategy committing to providing outstanding care, together, for the people of south west London, Surrey and beyond.
West London NHS Trust
- Article: West London NHS Trust have unveiled a new Wellbeing and Recovery College in partnership with the Brentford FC Community Sports Trust [17/5].
Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Article: Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children (GOSH) and Roche UK have partnered to harness the power of data by co-develop digital tools [16/5]
- The collaboration will develop the use of cutting-edge technologies, like artificial intelligence and machine learning to enable better use of data that is routinely collected in treatment to improve care at GOSH and beyond.
We’re at the @NHSEngland board meeting this afternoon, things kicking off with chair Richard Meddings congratulating @NHSDigital chair Laura Wade-Gery for her service to tech – it’s her last board meeting, she’s now chair at Moorfields Eye Hospital #nhseboard
— Health Service Journal (@HSJnews) May 18, 2023